Monday, January 21, 2013

Its so rare to have a family like mine... I'm grateful for it


June 10th, 2012


Hey so sorry you haven’t gotten the last two voice recording because they were too long. I started teaching and preaching to you so they were about 20 minutes each and my email couldn’t send. 

So I’m just going to buzz through today and tell you what’s going on. There was a cyclone today. The power is out right now and there are a bunch of trees everywhere. We came out of the church and there were trees lying in the streets and power lines down. Probably not as crazy as you’re imagining in your minds right now but yeah there were trees in the streets. The power is out right now in our apartment and its really dark and making me tired… I’m excited to go to bed.
So on the voice recording I know you can hear my bed squeaking; Yeah so it squeaks.

We are teaching three people right now. One just got out of prison and is looking for a change in life. We had a good discussion with her. Another is a favorite because she is just so excited about living the gospel. She is like a sponge and really listens and grasps the things we are teaching. The last one is awesome. He’s the one that keeps me up on American basketball because he loves it. 

I’ve been able to develop a lot of gratitude for my family. Here there are a lot of broken homes. President Flambert came to our flat this last week and I was able to have an awesome talk with him. He is such a loving mission president. He told me to carry a picture of my family with me. It is so rare to have a family so well put together and so involved in the gospel. Its good and I’m so grateful for it. I really love my family. What I really want is more family pictures.  It’s crazy also that I’m getting a new president when I just fell in love with this one. 

I want to tell you all how Priesthood power is so real. I didn’t know the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood until I was able to give a priesthood blessing and see results the next day. 

We go beach contacting sometimes. We’ll go in the mornings or at sunset and talk to people. We aren’t really on the beach but the sidewalk or boardwalk next to the beach. It was hard at first and because I got sick this week but it was easier after a while. I am feeling better though. Thanks Mom for the cold medicine.
We work like crazy here on Sundays. It is the longest day of the week because it’s so hectic.
Appointments here fall through a lot. It’s frustrating that appointment after appointment falls through. Sometimes I just want to cry but I have faith still. 

This week it’s been raining like crazy. When it rains here it pours. We get soaking wet and when its 16 degrees Celsius it stinks.
Nights end early here in Australia. After 7 o’clock they don’t even want you in your home and they are going to bed. It’s kind of weird.
There is a brother here in our ward that is 91 years old. During the summers he still goes swimming in the ocean every morning.
Islander food tastes really good and I’ve been learning how to cook it. My secrets are my own J
So I don’t really want to rush this letter. Tell me how Sage is doing. I had a horrible dream about her and I worry about that dog. I miss her so much.
Wow Caitlin is going on Heritage Tours next month. I am just so envious of her right now. I want to go on Heritage Tours again. If I had gone with the spirit that I have now it would have been way better.
Rugby is huge here, I love it. We play it almost every preparation day…. basically every p-day.

I need you guys to write questions for me. When I say “you guys” I mean anyone who cares and loves me and wants to prove that you love me.  You will send at least two questions. That’s how I feel loved.

-Elder Cook

RANDOM FACTS
There are tons of smokers here…. A crazy amount
I think that Aussie’s work just so they can relax. They will go out and work in the yard so afterward they can have a good cold one.
Driving on the left side of the road here is weird.
Everyone drinks here… even 10 year old kids. It’s sad as.
Elder Rigby – “Hello cook family – You’ve raised a great son. He’s a good missionary and will bring many unto Christ.”  (He was in my MTC district from Boise ID)
Elder Sambro – “Elder Cook is the man, he’s a great son.”  (He’s Tongan but is from NZ and Queensland)

No comments:

Post a Comment