Monday, February 11, 2013

I Felt Like I Was in the States and Headed Into Oncoming Traffic...



8-26-12

 It’s been a great week. 

Our night tonight has been filled. We went to one of our less active’s house tonight and taught her and her boyfriend. It was awesome partly because this week he read the Book of Mormon. He brought up good questions and concerns that we were able to answer. The answers came down to the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. If the Book of Mormon is true then Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I’m really happy that this investigator is doing things for himself and not for his girlfriend because I don’t want him to just be reading the book and trying to discern for himself if it’s true. If he does that he’ll never get the witness by the Holy Ghost that he needs in order to know if this church is true. He really needs to have the faith to find out and know if it’s the truth. It was fun though and we had homemade pizza too. 

We have had a lot going on this week but we had to drop one of our investigators because he just wasn’t progressing. Whenever we find someone they are just not interested or not prepared. 

We did find another investigator about two weeks ago that I didn’t tell you about. He’s from South Africa. He was a former investigator but now he seems more prepared and willing to put forth the effort.  He wasn’t able to meet with us this week but next week we’ll be able to teach him again and hopefully he’s progressed some so we can teach him more of the plan of salvation. 

I’ll tell you about my week. Since I’m the designated driver I’m driving all the time.  For whatever reason I felt Like I was back in the states and turned and started driving into head on traffic. I hurried and flipped a U turn while the cars were still down at the red light before they headed our way so everything turned out alright. 

I got to do some modeling with President. It was pretty funny. He’s still new and has only been out in the mission for about 6 weeks. I felt like I was modeling with anchor man because of course that’s what he is. He’s a really awesome president. He’s changing a lot about the mission to bring more success I think. He’s really focused on faith and finding. It’s something I’m thankful for because faith is something I think I’ve always had and have focused on it but in this area I think I’ve struggled with it. I’ll go out and get pumped and excited to talk to people about the gospel and yet when we open our mouths the people are cold and it just doesn’t seem like they’re humbled. In the area I’m in right now there are a lot of wealthy people and they have everything. They have big houses, sailboats, yachts, and really nice cars. Everything is going brilliantly in their lives at the moment so when we talk about God they don’t necessarily feel that they need Him. 

I just had something come to mind… I was reading somewhere in the Book of Mormon… Alma 32. It was talking about humility and it said how blessed are they that don’t need to be humbled by poor circumstances. It thought that was cool and maybe there are people in this area who have humbled themselves and do have everything and are God fearing people. I don’t know…. I’m still trying to have faith but are we going to put forth the effort to find them. So that’s what we are focused on. 

I really love riding the river and doing contacting there. It’s really beautiful along the beach coast and some sweet trails and we run into happy people sitting on benches. They sometimes still aren’t willing to talk but they are happy. I enjoy it. 

We taught Elder’s Quorum today and a few weeks ago we meet at a ward and discussed how we could get more out of our meetings. Some of the older ladies were saying that the speakers were boring and not talented enough and such….oh I have to run.

John Bytheway teaches about a faith prayer so Elder Bennion and I have been doing that… it’s getting late and I have to run to do that. I know the end of this probably won’t make sense but I love you all and have a good week. 

Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment